Questions and Exercises: Basic I/O
1. What class and method would you use to read a few pieces of data that are at known positions near the end of a large file?
2. When invoking
format , what is the best way to indicate a new line?
3. How would you determine the MIME type of a file?
4. What method(s) would you use to determine whether a file is a symbolic link?
1. Write an example that counts the number of times a particular character, such as
e , appears in a file. The character can be specified at the command line. You can use xanadu.txt as the input file.
2. The file datafile begins with a single
long that tells you the offset of a single
int piece of data within the same file. Write a program that gets the
int piece of data. What is the