Lesson: Regular Expressions
This lesson explains how to use the
- Provides a general overview of regular expressions. It also introduces the core classes that comprise this API.
- Test Harness
- Defines a simple application for testing pattern matching with regular expressions.
- String Literals
- Introduces basic pattern matching, metacharacters, and quoting.
- Character Classes
- Describes simple character classes, negation, ranges, unions, intersections, and subtraction.
- Predefined Character Classes
- Describes the basic predefined character classes for whitespace, word, and digit characters.
- Explains greedy, reluctant, and possessive quantifiers for matching a specified expression x number of times.
- Capturing Groups
- Explains how to treat multiple characters as a single unit.
- Boundary Matchers
- Describes line, word, and input boundaries.
- Methods of the Pattern Class
Examines other useful methods of the
Patternclass, and explores advanced features such as compiling with flags and using embedded flag expressions.
- Methods of the Matcher Class
Describes the commonly-used methods of the
- Methods of the PatternSyntaxException Class
Describes how to examine a
- Additional Resources
- To read more about regular expressions, consult this section for additional resources.